Ex-Servicemen Contributory Health Scheme (ECHS) was launched with effect from 01st April, 2003 with the aim to provide quality Medicare to Armed Forces Veterans and their dependents. The ECHS network is spread all across the country through its polyclinics, service medical facilities and civil empanelled/government hospitals. This scheme has been structured to ensure cashless transactions, as far as possible for the patients. The system is financed by Government of India.
Organization of ECHS
- The main headquarter of ECHS is located at Delhi and functions under the Chief of Armed Forces through AG and DGDC & W in Army HQs. The central organization is headed by a Major General called the Managing Director, ECHS.
- There are 13 Regional centres of ECHS and 227 Polyclinics located all over country at 106 Military Stations and 121 Non-Military Stations.
- ECHS Regional Centres are the administrative control of Command HQs/Area HQs whereas ECHS Polyclinic is under the administrative control of Station Commander under Station HQs.
Advantages of becoming ECHS member
Every Ex-servicemen and the dependents must take full advantage of becoming a member of ECHS. That small and sleek ECHS smart card is in fact your personal ‘Doctor and Financer’ to ensure that you remain happy and healthy. Since the individual Ex-serviceman need no instant cash for payment for any kind of treatment including treatment of serious diseases. Some of the notable benefits of ECHS are as under:-
- All types of known diseases covered.
- No upper limit for genuine expenditure on treatment.
- No upper age limit to join.
- Only one lifetime payment.
- Dependent parent and children also given all benefits.
- Familiar environment
- Best of treatment especially for serious diseases.
- The scheme caters to the following categories of personnel:-
- All ESM pensioners including disability and family pensioners.
- Dependents to include Wife/Husband, legitimate children and wholly dependent parents.
- To be eligible for membership of ECHS a person must meet following two conditions:-
- Should have ESM status.
- Should be drawing normal service/Disability/Family Pension.
Note: WAR DISABLED PENSIONERS NEED NOT PAY ONE TIME ECHS CONTRIBUTION AND IS FREE. ANY WAR DISABLED PENSIONERS HAVE PAID ECHS CONTRIBUTION; THE SAME WILL BE REFUNDED TO THE INDIVIDUAL.
HOW TO APPLY?
- The following procedures are adopted while applying for ECHS membership:-
- Armed Forces Veterans (AFV) will fill up Application available at all Station HQs or you can directly download from the ECHS Website.
- Deposit this form with following:-
- Affidavit duly notarized.
- Deposit the amount of ECHS contribution to Government treasury at SBI/RBI and attached original MRO copy with application.
- Demand Draft to be preferred at the rate of 90/- per card. (You can make two add on cards in addition to the master card. Three passport size photographs of pensioner and dependents).
- Three passport size photographs of Pensioner and dependents. (Paste one copy each on the application form, Affidavit and on a receipt).
- PPO to be duly attested by Bank Treasury from where the pension is being drawn.
- Deposit completed application form at the designated Station HQs. In Siikim's Case, it is Station HQs, Near Main CSD, Libing Helipad Road, Gangtok.
- Remember to take your Receipt. You are a member the day you get the Receipt subject to verification of your doucments.
- Collect the Card(s) on information sent from Station HQs.
- Get your Card activated at the parent/nearest Polyclinic as soon as possible. Without activation, the card will not workv at Polyclinic.
Affiliated/empanelled civil hospitals in and around Sikkim
- CRH Manipal, Tadong, Gangtok.
- STNM Hospital, Gangtok.
- Paramount, Siliguri.
- Anadaloke, Siliguri.
- Number of super-speciality hospitals at Kolkata including APPOLO & BIRLA RESEARCH CENTRE.
REVISED RATES OF SUBSCRIPTION OF ECHS
CONTRIBUTIONS (In Rupees)
1. Lt. Col. to Maj. General
2. Gentlemen Cadets (GC) to Major
3. Sub to Sub Major Plus Hony Lt & Hony Capt
4. Nb Sub to Hony Sub
5. Sepoy yo Hony Nb Sub
IMPORTANT TIPS FOR ESM AND THEIR DEPENDENTS
- If you have to be hospitalized due to illness, while away from home, report to the nearest ECHS polyclinic or in case of emergency for your treatment. You do not have to pay anything in these hospitals.
- Always carry your ECHS Card while travelling away from home.
- Always remeber the names of empanelled hospitals and ECHS Polyclinic of the place you are visiting. It is a sure shot help available to you in case of emergency.
- In case of your getting admitted in a non-empanelled hospital, anywhere in India, your bills on medicines and other treatment must be kept safely for reimbursement from parent ECHS Polyclinic. Always remember to contact and inform your parent ECHS or the nearest Polyclinic of the happening within 48 hours of your hospitalization.
- All bills will be submitted to the parent ECHS Polyclinic within one month of discharge from hospital for reimbursement of amount with necessary docus.
Col. D. N. Bhutia
Secretary, Rajya Sainik Board